Thursday, January 29, 2009

Jughead thoughts

Let me preface this with this: this episode was awesome. Finally, giving up answers that they've been promising to do for a while.

That said, I am not a huge fan of this new time travel element. It seems to open up some holes problems/holes that are kind of hard to explain. The best example I can come up with is this hydrogen bomb (which works a bit better than my Locke/Alpert one from last night). My problem is there had to be an original time to the story. The first time through time, the bomb had to be fine on its own.....it didn't blow up (or the island wouldn't have been there for DHARMA or our survivors) and it wasn't necessarily buried in concrete. However, later Faraday goes into the past and tells them what to do with it and from then on through history, it is buried. But if Faraday hadn't have gone back, would it still have been buried?.... would it possibly have blown up at some point? However, I do like the ability to see what happens in the islands past, which leads me to one of the biggest reveals yet....

Charlie is still alive!! Not really (and if it does end up being the same person, I'll be upset). The actual surprise is Widmore used to be in the island.

Now, I am assuming that Widmore was one of the "Hostiles" that were fighting with DHARMA. But he seems to blame Ben specifically for something; his exile from the island, his lack of being in charge. Whatever the case may be, it lead me to these rapid-fire possibilities:

-Ben got to the island in the 70's. The Purge was in the early 90's. Was Widmore still around for the purge? Probably not because he wouldn't have had time to build his company. But at what point did he leave?
-Penny seems to be around 30...could she have been born on the island? If so, who is her mother?
-Out there possibility: I agree with McG that there is a good shot that the girl with the gun could be both Ms Hawking and Faraday's mother, and that the lady in the coma is his sister. However, could there be more to the fact that Widmore is taking care or the sister?...perhaps that it is his daughter?....which would mean Faraday and Penny are (half)brother/sister (they did pick an actress that looks enough like Penny to work). Do I beleive this 100%: No. Is it completely out of the realm of possibility: Not at all.
-If Ms Hawking is indeed Faraday's mother, Widmore has no clue she is working with Ben....if he did, there is no way that he send Desmond (and Penny) straight that way. Ben has already said he's going to kill Penny.

Not as rapid as I thought. Last thing I found kind of interesting: Richard is old and everybody knows it and just accepts it. Still no reason on why or how he is so old, but Juliet just kind of shrugs it off.

Trailer for next week looks awesome, but thats a different discussion.

11 comments:

  1. Here is the thing about the way they are treating time travel. Daniel telling them to bury the bomb always happened. There is not a time where it didn't. The island that we all saw in the first 4 seasons is there because Daniel will go back in time and tell them to bury it. It already happened. Does this make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that....but that can't be the way it originally happened. It does, however, replace what originally happened so that is how it happens from then on. I ran into this problem to with the 3rd Harry Potter book too...I can accept it, but I just don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the way that it originally happened now. Go to Barnes and Noble and pick up the Time Travel Companion set written by Travis and it will explain everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just released the unabridged version with four collectors covers exclusively on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point about Widmore not knowing about Ben working with Ms Hawking(Stephen Hawking's wife?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll give credit to Brandon, but he thinks that Miles is Mr Candle-dude's son. I think it's a good call because not a lot of people are focusing on Miles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When time travel was confirmed the beginning of this season (may as well have been confirmed at the end of S4) I'll be honest, super excited. I love a good time travel story.

    Now, the problem I have with time travel stories in general are their failure to avoid predestination paradox's

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_paradox

    This happens way too often for my taste. The "twist" that we always get is the time travelers going back in time ensure that their future selves go back in time (see Terminator Series).

    Anyhow, I'm hoping that the writers take this into some other direction other than having the Island be some fanciful 6 season time loop.

    To Aaron: they hydrogen bomb could have been dismantled somehow, but what about the knowledge of John Lockes birth? That's the beginning of a paradox to me =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH! a few good time travel stories out there(predestination paradoxs though!).

    By His Bootstraps and All You Zombies are awesome stories... All You Zombies is a little messed up... no... alot messed up, but astounding! PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you guys are just racist. Oh there's two asian people. They must be related. Next you will be saying the Jack and Claire are related, or Micheal and Walt, or Locke and the Polar Bear. In all seriousness, I think Miles is not related to the Dr dude.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree totally about not wanting this to be a predestination paradox.

    ReplyDelete