Saturday, January 31, 2009

Changed opinion after rewatch...

I just re-watched the episode and I think we are off track on some things....

First off there was a lot of talk about the relationship between Faraday and the woman in the hospital bed. We also had some thoughts about who 'Ellie' the British woman who walked Dan out to the h-bomb was, and her relation to everyone was. I'm gonna break it into two parts.

Teresa Spencer



This was the woman who we first saw in the photo from Dan's old lab. This is the same woman who is in the hospital bed when Des goes to find her. We had some theories that she might be Dan's half sister. I really think that this is wrong. I think the main reason we came to that conclusion is because of the conversation that Faraday has with Ellie on the Island. In the conversation that Des has with Teresa's sister she speaks of Dan not like a brother at all and she mentioned that their father had died five years ago. I suppose it is still possible that their moms are the same person but the more I think about it, it just seems to circumstantial. As for Ellie.

Ellie



I am even more convinced that this is Dan's mom. The conversation that they have as they walk out to the bomb is about why Dan is looking at her funny and he says that she reminds him so someone "He used to know." This was the comment that made a bunch a people think, OH! she looks like the Teresa! She is gonna be her mom!
I think this is the wrong conclusion. I think he is using this line as a cover for "You look like my Mom, because you are." The "real Romeo" line that Ellie uses is more of a like, Ha! His mom thinks he is romantically interested in her.

As for Ellie being Ms. Hawking well. I'm totally convinced of that. Ms. Hawking knows about time travel, a lot. I think we can thank Dan for telling her that it exists in this episode. She is in LA, we know that because at the end of episode two she is talking to Ben who is also in LA. Dan's mom is also in LA (coincidence?). Finally when looking for this picture of Ms. Hawking I searched 'Hawking' on Lostpedia and it came up with the name 'Eloise Hawking'. Sorry if that is considered 'SPOILER' but it got me too. Okay well I hope some of this makes sense in some way and I look forward to seeing what you guys think.



-Travis

27 comments:

  1. i think you confirmed that Ellie is Eloise Hawking, well done. While I think you have found some evidence to poke holes in the sister theory, I wouldn't say that you killed it. I'm not saying that she isn't, but I think we will need more info to prove it either way. All we do know is that they are not the same person, Ford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On second watch, my above stated opinion doesn't change, I did notice that the camp they are staying in was the camp that the US Army set up. We know that the houses and facilities they are using were set up by the Dharma Initiative, everything we've seen of the others they are utilizing the advances of someone else, poking a whole in my theory. Yet I do believe that the Latin does support my theory of the island moving from the Mediteranean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only is Ellie Dan's mother, but we'll soon find out that Dan is also his own father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not 100% about this Ellie being his mother. It just seems way to easy/obvious for them. Now if it turns out she is Mother Earth or something, then yeah ok. But it seems un-LOST like to make something so obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two points of contention, first I don't believe that it is too obvious I think that we have just connected the dots. Second, I think the show inevitably has to get very un-Lost or it will not be able to end with any resolution. I believe that the next two seasons will have many more answers than question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellie, Elloise Hawking, Elloise the rat, Daniel Elloise Faraday. The connections are pretty obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if Daniel telling Ellie that they are from fifty years in the future is what causes Ms. Hawking's life long study of time travel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cut that stuff out, Travis. I won't have you spreading your paradoxical time loop gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coffelt all of those things are obvious to the obsessed Lost nerd but to most viewers the connection is not obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. at this point, aren't most viewers Lost nerds?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes we are all Lost nerds haha. But I totally agree and all the connections to Daniel and Eloise convince me. So great job, but I thought that Daniel said that doing something in the past doesn't change whats happened in the future. Was he just saying that to prevent everyone from trying to change the future or was he serious? And how did Ellie get off the island?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe you can't change the future from what already happened. Daniel knew that the island was still there in the future, so he couldn't have blown up the bomb. He could only convince them to bury it. The whole thing still seems like a confusing paradox to me, and it brings up a question of free will, so I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daniel could just have been using the diffusing of the bomb as an excuse why they were there, to avoid trying to explain Time travel.

    The Lockadox isn't being avoided though (Alpert's visits and Abbaddons Walkabout suggestion)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still think Daniel just said that to keep the lesser minds from screwing up the future. He thinks highly of himself, telling Sawyer that even a physicist wouldn't understand. The future can be altered, Daniel did it with Desmond and Locke did it when he told Richard when he was born and Richard came to see him

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did he? Or did Jacob just tell Richard to go and see him. I'd like to know more about Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good point, I think the chain of command goes Jacob, Richard, Leader of the moment, I do think that Richard is higher up then Locke, Ben, Whoever, he just makes them think they are running the show.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think Richard is a pro-temp for Others leader while another is found.

    Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I described him as Grima Wormtongue and Sheena looked at me like I was crazy, but the analogy works.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Richard might "outrank" Ben and Locke, but he can't speak to Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I see Richard as Joe and Locke as Capt. Shelton, but not everyone is going to understand that analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. so... Capt Shelton is in charge, but Joe is the one who knows everything?

    So would Todd be Juliet?

    ReplyDelete
  22. No, Todd is MS. Hawking. The one who does all the work in some dark room but only gets brought up like once every season. Oh and I wanna be Daniel. WAit did we start a RPG while I was watching a movie?

    ReplyDelete
  23. haha, yeah... I'll give him smoke monster... people send him to do everyone elses dirty work and then smashes them to the ground.

    Trav, you can be Daniel, but only if I can be the helicopter pilot from Lawnmower Man

    ReplyDelete
  24. I want to be Hurley even though I have very little in common, other than my love of fried chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I guess that leaves me as Sawyer. Why: Because I'm the sexiest.

    ReplyDelete