Wednesday, April 1, 2009

He will never be the same

So tonight sealed up some recent mysteries that involved our lady Kate.

First off there was the issue of what Sawyer asked her to do before he jumped out of the
chopper. I always had a feeling it had something to do with his kid but seeing as I never mentioned it you could all think I am lying. Either way this did end up being the case and we learned that Kate did not keep 'the lie' to herself and she went off blabbing to everyone. I guess this was a solid answer about what Sawyer wanted but there isn't much to it. I guess this could come into play later just because she did know the secret.

We also found out what happened to Aaron. When she lost him in the store we were all rather upset at the possibility that this was the reason Aaron was gone. Then when she brought Aaron to his Grand-mammy it made a lot of sense save for one thing, why? Why is she really going back to the Island? Is she honestly going to look for Claire? Was she just done with Aaron and wanting to escape? Idunno.

I really liked the conversation that took place between Miles and Hurley during the house arrest. The whole Back to the Future thing was hilarious and they really had a flat out explanation of how the time travel stuff was working (you know for people who don't dedicate their lives to this kind of stuff). I thought for a minute that it was all going to be for show when Hugo pointed out the fact that Ben never realized that Sayid was the guy who shot him as a kid. But as we saw at the end of the episode what happens to little Ben in the Temple will cause him to forget what happened.

So the cool thing that we all picked up on at the watch party was that Jack's decision not to help little Ben, in an attempt to prevent the big evil Ben, actually resulted in the course of events that made Ben the way he is. It's in a way, Jack's fault.

Finally I have to say that I am super excited to see next week's episode. It is clearly going to be Ben centric and we should get a great look at the Temple and some of the mythology of the Island. Also I like that we will get to see some of what happens when Ben gets a beat down at the docks. I can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. My 2-cents:

    This episode really made me dislike Kate. She revealed the secret (to multiple people). While I do believe that she loved Aaron, it burns me that she ditched him to (what I believe is the real reason...finding Claire was a convenient excuse) go back to Sawyer. Plus, she's all flirty with Uncle Rico.

    I love the fact that everything (including the fact that they couldn't leave the island in the first place)was Jack's fault. Also quite enjoyed the change in his psyche....he's totally sold on the Island now.

    Sayid is running around somewhere....where? Who's going to find him first?...the Other's?...DHARMA?...Smokey?

    I'm hoping that with next week's episode, we will find something out on how Sun/Lapidus might be able to reunite with those in the past. Maybe something in the Temple? Guess we'll see.

    I'm still holding out that although Faraday said they couldn't change the past, they still can. Would help my idea that they get off the island at some point (if the past changed, then the future where they go back would change). You all can trash this one all you want, but he knows something he's not telling everyone else. I still stand by my claim that they get back to the future (not just waiting it out) and when all is over, ge off island again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I thought for a minute that it was all going to be for show when Hugo pointed out the fact that Ben never realized that Sayid was the guy who shot him as a kid. But as we saw at the end of the episode what happens to little Ben in the Temple will cause him to forget what happened."

    I think we're looking at what was said the wrong way. I think that question was presented as a point of misdirection to go with what Richard says later.

    Ben is well aware of his childhood, evidence for that are his flashbacks to arriving on the Island, getting a doll from Annie (who I honestly think is young Charlotte or a further stretch of Juliette), and meeting Richard Alpert for the first time after following his "mother".

    What I take from Richard's comment at the end if the episode is Ben won't remember the exchange and more importantly what is going to happen inside the temple.

    So why wouldn't Ben remember Sayid as he's being tortured?

    The better question is why would we expect deceptive, manipulative Benjamin Linus to admit to knowing Sayid? Why would we expect Ben to blow his cover? He's strong willed... he let Kearney shoot Alex and he's gotten more ass beatings than all UFC matches combined (seriously, when is he NOT bloody?). But he doesn't mind, he always has a plan.

    Old Ben's (hah!) plan is to get the O6 to travel back in time to kickstart the events that we're seeing now to make sure that Lil Ben becomes Big Ben. (See: Ray Bradbury's "By His Bootstraps")

    That's why he was so adamant on keeping them on the Island and why he made it his goal to get everyone back.

    He has to ensure his existence.

    But who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete