Saturday, April 11, 2009

Smoke Monster Vent


Okay, so I was just taking another look at previous episodes (which we all know I needed to do), and I came across something pretty interesing. It's not a huge thing, but I didn't want to forget about it. So in the first episode of season 5, the Dharma folk were working on construction underground. This is the spot where we saw the Asian guy from the videos and Miles. They didn't make a big deal about it, but they definitely showed and focused on the vent holes (exactly like what we saw in Season 5 Episode 12 (Dead Is Dead). This is the square with like 30 holes or so. I thought it was pretty interesting and may raise some questions...
Maybe this is just the guy who is uneducated on LOST speaking, but could this be the same vent that Ben went to? Did they purpously make these vents for the Black smoke monster (or some other reason)? Or perhaps these vents were just always there?
During this scene as well, they talk about so much energy being released that they could use it for time travel if they drill any further? After the Asian guy leaves, Miles stands just staring into the holes that the guy was drilling.
Anywho, just doing my necessary LOST homework and trying to spark some ideas and see if anyone can shoot this down or build on it. I recommend re-watching Season 5, episode 1 (Because You Left).

7 comments:

  1. I'm not going to say that is incorrect, but here is my thought:

    The temple has been around a long time...long before DHARMA ever showed up on the island. Therefore, the structure/foundation beneath the Temple would have been there a long time before.

    They were digging out/constructing The Orchid station in the earlier episode which, unless I'm wrong, wasn't near the Temple. Also, there is a lack of hieroglyphics on the Orchid holes.

    What I took those holes as being were them at first trying to drill through the rock to expand The Orchid (or possibly to stick dynamite in to blow their way through). Did they mention breaking drills and such? Also, I'm pretty sure that they knew somewhat of what the wheel behind the wall would do...and Smokey hasn't been linked to time travel (yet...)

    Again, not saying I'm right either...you could be on to something. Personal feeling though is that was just part of construction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I'm 99.9% sure you are correct. Geographically they are not close, it was definitely not the same site. Could there be multiple vents? Sure. I wouldn't discount that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if the smoke monster can come up through the toilet bowl, which is nowhere near the temple, then I definitely wouldn't discount Matt's theory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well for the most part I figured it wasn't the exact same spot, but I was just seeing what you all thought about the idea that there were multiple vents and maybe they drilled them all (accidentally?). But thanks for shooting it down and making me feel like a mega loser...I knew you guys could!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see what you're saying. I don't think the Dharma guys drilled the holes in the temple because they weren't allowed out there via the treaty thing that they have going on.

    But it was pointed out by IGN that the heiroglyphics in the Donkey Wheel room are the same ones that are found underneath the temple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ford you might be onto something with Dharma at least researching adding additional vents in an attempt to control the smoke monster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete